A few months ago Matt and I got a dresser, an armoire and a nightstand all for $150 on craigslist. I wanted to use the armoire for a school supply closet, the nightstand for the guest room and the dresser for me. Since I am not one to keep perfectly good (though possibly ugly) furniture in my basement or garage until I can refinish it, I had Matt bring them all in the house to be put to use until I could get around to making them beautiful.
I didn’t want him to take my super heavy dresser upstairs just to be brought down again in a few weeks, so I had him keep that in the kitchen.
We decided we kind of liked it there (not to mention the fact that the drawers were a bit too shallow to be used for clothes), so we now have a buffet and I am still dresser-less.
I was thinking that I would paint it a reddish orange and paint the hardware black. I mentioned orange to Matt and while he didn’t love the idea, he was ok with it once I showed him some pictures of what I was going for. In that “less freaked out” state of mind he helped me pick out a very bold orange paint color.
Anyway, these pieces are solid wood and well built. My only complaint is they all have this weird indentation on the front.
I didn’t like it. Elmer’s Wood Filler to the rescue again! Over the course of several days I filled in the dent (a little at a time).
There she sat. For weeks. It got very boring.
Then in a burst of nesting instinct I sanded…
I know. You don’t need to tell me. Lets just say that while I was trying to bring “warmth” into the kitchen, I didn’t necessarily want to burn it down. I tried to tone it down with some black paint mixed in with the orange (you know what a cheapskate I am) but that ended up making look less like a pumpkin and more like a pumpkin’s vomit.
I went back to Home Depot and picked up a quart of Behr flat paint in the color of “New Brick”. I pulled out my HVLP spray paint gun, took it out to the deck and after two coats had managed to cover up the pumpkin vomit.
I wasn’t in LOVE with the color. It was a little pinker than I had envisioned, but I wasn’t going to spend any more money on it. I was determined to be happy with it.
Then I made a big mistake.
In my zeal to get it finished I grabbed a can of spray on crystal clear enamel to use as a top coat. BIG mistake! It was splotchy and just horrible! Then I made another mistake. I thought I could blend the splotchiness by using a top coat of polyurethane. Nope.
My mistake did end up being good in the end. I realized that the yellow tint to the polyurethane gave the paint job just what it needed to temper the “pink” and turn it into exactly the color that I had wanted in the first place (this is the second time the yellow of polyurethane has saved a project of mine)!
I spray painted the hardware. I accidentally bought black enamel. It was able to get the job done, but it took several more coats than it should have (the enamel didn’t want to adhere to the metal). Next time I’ll make sure I get the right stuff.
I painted black glaze onto the surfaces and wiped it off just like she told me to. The glaze stuck in all of the nooks and crannies giving it an antiqued look (by the way, I used flat paint like I always do and the glaze still wiped off really well). It worked perfectly and I love how it turned out!
I couldn’t be happier with the final product! The new color is just what I wanted, the glaze has given it a wonderful antique look and the HVLP spray gun gave it a fabulous brush stroke free finish! It looks like fall to me.