It’s been about three weeks since I have started to actively try and loose this weight and I have lost a grand total of 11 lbs. Can I get a WOOT WOOT!? 11 lbs is enough that I know it’s not water weight or other normal fluctuations.
I think this week has been the hardest by far. Last Friday I woke up with a cold that got progressively worse and the youngest two boys came down with it shortly thereafter. What happens when baby boys don’t sleep? Mama don’t sleep. Tired Courtney = Cry Baby Courtney.
Those of you who follow me on Facebook might have had an inkling that something was off when I would post updates like “Mama needs a NAP” and “Today is one of those days where I really wish I hadn’t given up emotional eating” and finally “Someone PLEASE give me a chocolate IV!”
Every time I have gone grocery shopping in the last month I have stopped in front of my favorite chocolate in the candy aisle and had a moment of silence before moving on to finish my shopping (yes I realize this is ridiculous, so feel free to snicker… mmmm… Snickers…). Since I haven’t been buying my favorite chocolate lately it’s been easy for me to not eat for comfort when I am upset or overwhelmed.
Yesterday Matt was post-call so he got to come home early. After storming around the house picking up after kids and crying (upset that he couldn’t read my mind) I went upstairs and took a nap. I woke up after an hour a new woman (today however, after sharing a bed with two cranky baby boys last night I’m again resembling the old woman). We went grocery shopping and even though I was feeling better I purposely bought two bags of my favorite chocolate.
When we got home I put one bag in the freezer and the other in my secret hiding place.
“You need to fund the “blow” category”. You need to fund the “blow” category for two reasons.
- It’s real! You are going to blow money, and you need to PLAN to blow money. Things aren’t going to work exactly as they do on paper; this is your slush fund. This is your grease that makes the machine roll. You need to blow some money… and that’s ok as long as you are doing it on purpose. And you need to put SOMETHING in the blow category. This thing of thinking that everything works perfectly with no room for movement just creates friction. You need some grease in there and let this thing work.
- It is in memory of your former plan.”
Look, I am going to indulge. It is foolish for me to think that I will never eat emotionally or eat too much or never eat a treat again. I’m going to do it and I have to PLAN to do it. I am going to do it so I may as well admit it out loud. This is my “blow category”.
My game plan for emotional eating will be as follows
- Drink a large glass of water. Water helps everything (right, Heather
- Take a nap. I am usually a pretty laid back person and it takes a lot to stress me out… at least it does when I am not chronically tired. A week of stress and crying is usually accompanied by an illness in either myself or one of my smaller children (hence, keeping me up at night.) or going to bed too late (aka after 9:30) for too many days in a row. In the past taking a nap when I am overly stressed almost always helps.
- Drink another large glass of water. The more water the better.
- If I am hungry, eat. Yesterday I was a mess. A nap and a slice of pizza later and all of my problems melted away. If I’m not hungry, then the water will do the trick. If I AM, then getting something in my stomach will make me feel better for real!
- Eat a piece of chocolate. Yes, eat a piece or two of my favorite chocolate. If I do all of the above BEFORE I eat my chocolate I will be no longer be eating it because I am stressed and tired but I will be eating it because I am happy and comfortable. It’s not medicine, it’s dessert!
Before I went to bed last night I ate one piece of my chocolate. It was the best tasting thing ever! Since I was eating it as a reward for a long, hard day instead of a way to comfort myself I was perfectly content with eating just one.
I felt blessed and vindicated when I woke up down another two pounds this morning. This IS working!