Do you remember my cute $35 secretary desk?
We bought it right after we moved here and is was the perfect size for my computer.
Well she has been sitting in my living room just waiting for the weather to warm up enough for me to finish her. Two weeks ago the sun came out and warmed up New Jersey enough for me to haul her out to the deck to sand her down.
With a little help from my resident swordsman.
Then she sat in my dining room for a week for me to get around buying some paint. I agonized over paint colors for 30 minutes before I picked the perfect shade of olive green. I spray painted it using my HVLP spray gun. I must have cleaned it well enough before I
threw it in a closet packed it away for the winter because it worked like a charm :) As always, I used flat paint because it goes on easier and dries quicker.
Unlike when I refinished the buffet, I decided to sand in between coats. After three rounds of paint with the spray gun and a light sanding with a sanding sponge in between coats my desk was perfectly coated and the finish was as smooth as silk. You seriously wouldn’t have known that I used flat paint based on the feel of it!
Once the painting was done I brought her inside, threw some food at the kids and got started on the glaze. I would have done it outside but it was getting dark.
Lucy loves it when I do things like this when Matt is gone because she gets to make dinner.
She is an old desk and I wanted give her an “old” finish. Once the glaze was on I sanded the paint off of the edges and corners before I put on the clear coat.
Since I sanded her down before I started painting there is a lot of variations in the wood color that is showed up when I sanded the edges. It’s beautiful!
Once the kiddos were tucked snuggly in their beds I came down for the finishing touches. Over the course of the next two hours I applied three coats of polycrylic using a foam brush… and I ate skittles. I used polycrylic instead of polyurethane because it won’t mess with the color at all (other than making it look “wet”).
Then in a flash of inspiration I grabbed the clear silicone and filled in all of the inside edges of the drawers and the inside of the desktop.
Then I went to bed. By the next morning she was completely dried and ready for the hardware. I thought about putting some pretty fabric or scrapbook paper on the bottom of the drawers and the back of the desk inside… but I was too lazy and don’t care about how the inside of my desk drawers look like :)
I decided to leave the organizer unpainted. I think it looks nice with the contrast.
I put her back together just in time for Matt to come home!
You can see how well the sanding worked.
And the glaze also gives it a nice touch. She still looks old but she doesn’t look beat up anymore :)