August 15

My Table is Done!!

Make sure you get a chance to read up on the entire construction process here:

I wish the pictures could do it justice!
It’s been so long since I’ve been able to work on it.  The table was about 85% done when the rains came down and refused to stop.  Any day we had sufficient sunshine we were busy running errands or baking bread or having school and all those other things that come with being a mom.  There were only so many hours in the day and the table just didn’t make the cut.
Until yesterday.  The sky parted just long enough for Lucy to help me bring the base inside.  I figured I could put the poly on it inside.  Fumes and all.  I actually ended up using the spray can of polycrilic that I had on hand because I didn’t want to wait any longer.  I figured that if the finish got milky I could just sand it and start again with a different finish.
I also decided after re-injuring my wrist for the third time (I tweaked it during the move and it hasn’t been normal since) that one coat of polycrylic followed by three coats of wax was plenty (applying the wax kills my wrist).
This time it did not get milky!  I sprayed three coats on the base of the table.

When Matt got home I had him help me bring the top up.  Now you may be wondering how I managed to attach the top to the base.  Well I would be happy to tell you.  First we put the kids to bed.
We placed the table top face down on my other table, then Matt helped me put the base on top of that.  So basically my table was upside down.  He went to study and I got out my measuring tape and centered the base as well as I could.

Then do you remember this mistake I made?

Waste not want not.  I grabbed four of these bad boys, drilled some pocket holes

and stained them (I also made holes in the wrong direction for half of them and plugged them up).

Then I attached them to the top of the table so that they were flanking (but not screwed to) the beam on the base

Then Matt helped me take the base off and set it upright on the floor.  Then we flipped the top over and the brackets I had screwed to the table top slid right into place, straddling the beam.  Perfect fit, perfectly centered, sturdy as can be!  If I wanted some extra security I could screw the brackets into the beam as well, but after testing it out, I don’t think it is necessary.  That top isn’t going anywhere unless it’s lifted (no amount of pushing and shoving or leaning on will make it budge).
Here are my two tables, side by side.  The new one is about an inch narrower than the old but also two feet longer!


Better pictures in the daylight…

Rustic yet fancy!  Matt wasn’t sold when I showed him the plans but he supported me as always and he really likes it in the flesh.

I can’t stop looking at it!

I made that all by myself!  I even had to figure out a few things (like how to attach the top).

Now I just need to refinish those chairs I got on craigslist!

I’m showing this off at:

Six Sister’s Stuff
The Dedicated House
Miss Mustard Seed
I Heart Naptime

Not Just a Housewife

About the author 

Courtney Ahroon

You may also like

Crystal Light Gelatin | A Yummy Sugar Free Jello Alternative

Teaching Exponents – Why Rabbit Trails Matter

One Minute Mysteries Book Review

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

  1. Oh my goodness, it’s beautiful!!! Really gorgeous!!!! Now tell me you totally wore a thick mask when you sprayed those fumes, you crazy, pregnant, maniac!

  2. YAY!
    Were these the plans on pinterest?
    If so, what did the materials end up costing?
    I have it pinned, but am worried about
    how much I’ll end up spending.
    You did a FANTASTIC job – it looks perfect!

    1. I got the plans here at ana-white.com
      http://ana-white.com/2012/06/plans/fancy-x-farmhouse-table?page=2
      The inspiration piece cost $65 (http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2012/06/fancy-x-farmhouse-table.html). Mine was about twice that because I did something different with the table top (she used 2×10?s and I used 1×10?s and added another inch on the bottom with plywood and trim). That being said, I also had plenty of extra left over for when I made mistakes (which I definitely made). It’s entirely made of pine and the cheapest plywood. If you want to keep it under $100, then use the 2×10’s for the top. I didn’t want a “knotty” look, so I went to the more expensive craft wood which is thinner but nicer looking.
      Hope that helps 🙂

  3. You should be very proud of yourself – she looks fantastic! I have been looking on line at different plans to have the Mister build a farm type table for our new screened room. Can’t wait to show him yours when he gets home. I hope you and the family enjoy many great meals and celebrations on this labor of love.

    1. Hey Kristi,
      I used Minwax Jacobean oil based stain (two coats). I got it at Home Depot, but I’m sure you can get it online or at Lowes too. I used two coats then three coats of minwax finishing wax. If I had to do it over again I would have used polyurethane instead of wax for the protective coat, but that’s just me 🙂

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Subscribe to our newsletter now!